All the philosophy needs is an 'if.'

My wife and I once had the opportunity to visit London. If you have ever been and had the privilege of seeing Hyde Park then you should be able to relate. This park is a place where people can stand on a soapbox and discuss anything they want. It does not matter if the topic is political, religious, or taboo. This blog is my Hyde Park. I will say whatever comes to mind. I don't expect masses to gather to hear my orations like they do in London, but then that is not really the point.

July 24, 2010

Running

So my running has been sorta sub-par lately. I have tried to make a come back at least once a year for the past three years. I have had mixed results getting my 5k time back down around 16 minutes. Not what it was in college, but decent none the less. In the past it was all about motivation. I was left drained from college competition and the fight with West Nile. Recently the ambitions have been returning and the joy of running has been starting to come back. I think there is a long way to go still, but it is getting better. Ultimately, the heat and the work schedule has kept me from achieving what I really wanted here in Texas. I see changes on the horizon though and am excited to get after it once more. I have a plan in place and am starting today to pick up the intensity again. The desire to run a 14:xx in the 5k is a major focus for me, but what has really set things off is this, third paragraph. A little background on that record which I used to hold. When I set that record I was in insane shape. I went on to break the school record in the 10k later that year at elevation. I never thought it would be broken. Two Olympic trials runners couldn't do it and Joe Schultz, who holds every record at Chadron from 1500-10000m, couldn't do it. He did break my 10k record, but he did not run it at altitude, which makes a huge difference. Anyway, the kid who broke the Colter Run record is a person who I would have said is mediocre at best. He was a decent high school runner, but would have only been a walk on at any college program. Obviously he has improved, but I cannot sit back and let him have a record that I thought was untouchable for some years to come. I am going to work my tail off over the next year and then go back to Chadron to set things right. I will not have as heavy of a teaching load in Cheyenne, so I will have more time to devote to running and the elevation will help me improve faster. I am going to put the next record so far out of reach that it will last decades.

No comments: